Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Post About My Other Post



In my last post, I made an oblique reference to that Huffington Post blog that went viral last week, about the absurd elitism of Whole Foods.   Since I have so many foodie friends, I guess, I saw it on Facebook a bunch of times.

While I shortly thereafter took a hiatus from Facebook, that humor piece was not actually the thing that drove me away.  Actually, I thought it was pretty funny.  

In certain respects, though, it sort of bugged me.   I'm kind of tired of Whole Foods jokes.  And I don't really get why  -- in Madison, at least -- Whole Foods seems to be the target of such a disproportionate amount of mockery.

Look, I don't feel sorry for Whole Foods or anything.  I don't think it's in any danger of going out of business.   There's simply too high a demand for tempeh, and organic canola oil mayonnaise!  

But it's getting old, isn't it?  There are so many better targets to mock.  Like my personal favorite, Target.

Since a friend of mine recently pointed me to a new writers' forum -- Medium -- I decided to share some thoughts about the Whole Foods meme on there.   If you are interested in reading it, here is my post.  

Please read it, and recommend it if you wish.  But while you are there, you should definitely check out some of the other pieces.  It's a pretty cool site.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go grocery shopping.  I'm all out of Jicama!

No comments: